December 29, 2011

Wish Me Luck As You Wave Me Goodbye....

Tomorrow I am leaving on a fearsome adventure. I am travelling to a place filled with peril, a place fraught with danger, a place known to strike fear into the heart of even the most stalwart of human beings.

Disneyland.

I am not taking this journey alone. I am traveling with my husband The Architect and our three children (mainly because they insisted on going; I think it would be way easier to travel to Disneyland without them, though possibly there wouldn't be as much point).

What's worse, we are traveling by air. I am terrified of flying with kids. It's not that I'm scared of flying - I quite like an airplane trip when I'm by myself (particularly those cute little meals served in the plastic trays with all the compartments) - but put me on a plane with my kids and I fall apart. I agonize about it for weeks before we leave. How am I going to entertain them? What if their ears hurt? What if they vomit? What if they don't sleep? What if I don't sleep? What if I sleep and they wake me up? What if they sleep on me and I lose circulation and my legs fall off when I stand up? And, worst of all, how hideously awful am I going to feel when we get there, and I have to look after three exhausted children whilst wanting to curl into a ball and die quietly alone in a hotel room???

I know the trip is only a few (dozen) hours and it will be worth it when I get there. But the flight will be repulsive in the extreme, and whilst I could try not think about it until we board the plane, that would be a total waste of angst. So I am torturing myself thoroughly with visions of the horror, and will continue to do so until we have completed are holiday and are safely back home again. Because that's just what I do.

In the meantime, I have been making preparations - packing, buying every possible pharmaceutical item we could need on our trip (because obviously they don't have pharmacies in the United States), organizing a house/Spunky sitter, and giving copies of my passport and life insurance policies to friends in case of accident or misadventure overseas (you know, like getting trampled by Mickey Mouse or hit by a flying roller coaster or being bored to death in a four hour queue).

So if you don't hear from me for a couple of weeks, do not fear. I am having the time of my life with my kids in the Scariest Happiest Place On Earth.

Either that or I am trapped under Donald Duck, flailing helplessly, a chilli dog wedged in my mouth, and cotton candy clenched in each fist.

Either way, I'll have a lot to tell you upon my return.

Happy New Year everyone, and lots of love to you all.

17 comments:

  1. We are contemplating the same journey with Miss 8 and Miss 3 next July -- will be watching and reading with fascination for details  ofyour post journey de-brief.  I'm sure you'll have a blast and once you find your inner Disney child, the challenge of the journey will be a faded memory ....  e n j o y :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll be fine - we travelled Qantas but am sure they are all much of a muchness - kids totally entertained with a gazillion tv/movie options. And they even slept. Honestly. (Tip: Wear them out before you leave!) Hand them your ipod. Or your valium.
    ;-)
    BB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disneyland really is the happiest place on earth. I am the ultimate cynic about Disney crap and had the BEST time and would do it all again. Good for the kids, good for us and good for the family. It is tye cleanest most well organsised place i have ever been to Plane trip will be forgotten the moment you walk through the gate My kids still look at all the photos and laugh. Have a fabulous time and buy all those stupid photos taken on rides

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take goo - seriously. It kept my two entertained from here to Bali and back. Also snacks, lots of snacks. Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy Disneyland. I hope tat the plane trip isnt as bad as you imagine.

    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Portable DVD players have saved my sanity on many a long haul flight. That is my only tip...apart from hourly doses of champagne (for you, not the kids). Have a blast and look forward to reading all about it when you are back. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get them all an iPod Touch and fill each one with their own personal favorite TV shows and/or movies and games. They won't look up until you tell em its time to deplane. $600 is a small price to pay for 14 hours of peace and quiet. One upgrade to business class/1st class would cost you more than that

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soaring California - it's my favourite thing at Disneyland. Please do it and tell me all about it.

    They should have plenty of inflight entertainment for the kids, by the time you board, eat, watch a movie it will be time for a big long sleep. You'll be fine!

    Very jealous, I LOVE Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I won a trip there in 2010-- Phenergen and a portable DVD player or an iPad EACH! Thats all Im saying xoxoxo lol
    Amanda from Amanda's Mummy Jeans xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your children are going on the trip of a lifetime.  I'm sure the plane trip will be worth it. 

    ReplyDelete
  11. your fears will  not be realised Kerri have a great time, happy New Year- miss you already!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I lurve me some Disneyland. I feel your pain, had the same questions running through my brain pre-trip with my two. They were 9 & 11, first ever plane rides & overseas trip for them, and I did it by myself! Crazy, why yes thank you. Worth it - abso-freakin-lutely. But I didn't have a little one to entertain, but I'm sure you'll be just fine. Trust me, I'm a doctor. I'm not actually, just trying to make you feel better.

    What a fabulous adventure. Green with envy. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Disneyland is so much fun for both adults & children. Watching their faces light up is pure magic. Love the princess castle & Small World ride, they never date.

    Hope your 'expecting the worst' tactic has worked well & that you were pleasantly surprised at how trouble-free your flight was. If not, you know we'll love to read the story :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We survived. Just! I am sure you did too on the vastly superior airline with screens at every seat. Mr4 fell asleep approximately 10 hours into the journey... Enjoy your trip.
    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now I'm sure I'll have nightmares of you trapped under Donald Duck, flailing helplessly, a chilli dog wedged in your mouth, and cotton candy clenched in each fist. But I'll be trying to save you...promise!
    Have a wonderful time and Happy New Year Kerri.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just spent the 27 th and 28 th in Disneyland with Hubbard and three kids the first day was a lockout over 63000 in the park the lines were crazy an it was Awesome
    Have a fabulous Tim and live in the moment

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! Love hearing from you.

Like it? Share it!